In efforts to proactively educate members of the financial community and journalists about what sets direct selling apart from other industries and business models, DSA recently launched a new animated video. The video is featured on DirectSellingFacts.com, a website established to provide outside parties with key information about the direct selling business model, direct selling’s contributions to the U.S. economy and DSA members’ firm commitment to practicing the highest standards in business ethics.
This new video uses animated illustrations to describe direct sales in such a way that outside parties can get a quick overview of the business model, understand key ways in which it differs from traditional retail, and discover the many ways in which direct sellers contribute to the global economy. It is a valuable addition to the website, which offers definitions of frequently used direct selling terminology, the latest industry sales figures, a breakdown of what differentiates legitimate direct selling companies from pyramid schemes and a summary of DSA’s Code of Ethics. (Click Here for Full Story)
On Oct. 23, 2013, more than 100 direct selling consultants and industry executives from across the country reaffirmed their support for the U.S. direct selling industry by signing DSA’s Proclamation and Compact during the 2013 Direct Selling Summit on Capitol Hill. Now, DSA is extending this unique opportunity to all independent consultants, executives, customers and industry advocates who support direct selling and the spirit of entrepreneurship embodied by today’s direct sellers.
The Direct Selling Proclamation and Compact details the industry’s firm commitment to business ethics, product innovation and empowerment. All who sign the proclamation make known their support for the direct selling business opportunity, DSA’s Code of Ethics and DSA’s mission “to protect, serve and promote the effectiveness of member companies and the business people they represent.”
“Each of the names affixed to the Direct Selling Proclamation represents a life impacted by the direct selling industry,” said DSA President Joe Mariano. “These men and women represent not only a sample of today’s direct sellers, but also family, friends, customers and supporters who recognize what direct selling means to the U.S. economy, to the livelihoods of nearly 16 million people and their families, and to beneficiaries of direct selling’s countless charitable undertakings.”
While the Proclamation resonated with this year’s Direct Selling Summit participants, as well as Members of Congress, their staffs and passersby, those in attendance represented a very small percentage of the entire sales channel. (Click Here For Full Story)
Nu Skin Rings Opening Bell at New York Stock Exchange
Executives and employees from Nu Skin Enterprises visited the New York Stock Exchange (NYSE) on Wednesday, Nov. 20, to celebrate the company’s record growth. In honor of the occasion, Truman Hunt, the company’s president and chief executive officer, rang the NYSE opening bell.
“Nu Skin has achieved record revenue this year, highlighted by the introduction of ageLOC TR90, our new weight management system, as well as strong growth in sales leaders and consumers and solid results in all of our regions,” said Hunt. “It’s a privilege to celebrate these achievements with managers from around the world by ringing the bell at the New York Stock Exchange.”
Network Marketing Pros In The News
Meredith Berkich has been promoted to President of Viridian.
Robert Goergen, Jr., has been promoted to Chief Executive Officer of Blyth and was elected to its Board of Directors. He will remain president of PartyLite Worldwide and on the Board of Directors of pending member ViSalus.
David Phelps is now Chief Sales Officer of LifeVantage.
Direct Selling Companies In the News
Numerous direct selling companies recently won gold and platinum awards in the 2013 MARCOM Competition. The MARCOM Awards are administered and judged by the Association of Marketing and Communication Professionals. Awards judges are industry professionals who look for companies and individuals whose talent exceeds a high standard of excellence and whose work serves as a benchmark for the industry. DSA congratulates these companies for their achievements.
- Marketing/Promo Campaign/Special Event for the 20th Anniversary Event (platinum)
- Video/Film/Marketing Product or Service for Your Business Assistant Video (platinum)
- Marketing/Promotion/Materials/T-Shirt for the 20th Anniversary Global T-Shirt (platinum)
- Brochure/Business to Business for the Business Services Brochure (gold)
- Brochure/Company Overview for the Corporate Profile (gold)
- Website/Corporation for the ACN, Inc., Corporate Website (gold)
- Mobile & Web-Based Technology/Facebook Site for the Facebook Page (gold)
- Website Element/Blog for the ACN Company Blog (gold)
- Website Element/Blog for the From the President Blog (gold)
- Marketing/Promo Campaign/Special Event for the North American Growth Council Pre-Trip Mailer (platinum)
- Marketing/Promo Campaign/Product Launch for the Artistry Youth Xtend Skincare Collection Product (platinum)
- Marketing/Promo Campaign/Promo/Marketing Materials for the Amway Catalogs (platinum)
- Brochure/Business to Consumer for the Nutrilite MyPack Brochure (gold)
- Mary Kay
- Comm/PR/Special Event for 50th Anniversary Global Makeover Day (platinum)
- Media Kit/Corporate Press Kit for the Corporate Press Kit (platinum)
- Design (Print)/Media Kit for the Corporate Press Kit (platinum)
- Comm/PR/Public Relations Program for the Don’t Look Away Program (platinum)
- Origami Owl
- Design (Print)/Packaging for the O2 Starter Kit (platinum)
- Video/Film/Corporate Image for the Origami Owl Core Values Video (gold)
- Brochure/Catalog for the Take Out Menu Spring 2013 (gold)
- Mobile & Web-Based Technology/Mobile App of the True Health Assessment (platinum)
- Media Coverage (All) for the 2013 International Convention Media (platinum)
- Magazine/Special Edition for the USANA Magazine – Influencer Edition (platinum)
- Brochure/Catalog for the 2013 Fall & Winter Product Catalog (gold)
- Comm/PR/Social Media Campaign for the USANA Open (gold)
- Website Element/Blog for What’s Up, USANA? (gold)
- Vemma Nutrition Company
- Instagram Site for the Vemma Instagram Site (platinum)
- Writing/Convention Guide for the Revolution Convention Guide (platinum)
- Design (Print)/Packaging for the Verve ParTea (platinum)
- Video/Film/Recruitment for the 8 People Can Change Your Life (platinum)
- E-Communication/E-Newsletter for Vemma News (platinum)
- Marketing/Promo Campaign/Branding for the Rewards and Recognition Program (platinum)
- Brochure/Company Overview for This is Vemma (gold)
- Writing/Brochure for This is Vemma (gold)
- Marketing/Promo Campaign/Branding Refresh for Packaging (gold)
- Recognition Website Achieve for the Vemma Website (gold)
- Mobile & Web-Based Technology/Mobile App for the Bod-e App (gold)
Mary Kay and Nu Skin were both recognized by the Beauty 2.0 Awards that honor digital efforts in the beauty industry. The awards allowed consumers to choose the winners, nominating and voting for the most inspiring cosmetics, personal care brands and retailers in digital marketing. Nu Skin won Best Facebook and Mary Kay won Best Website.
Amway and Allen Communication have been recognized with a Bronze Brandon Hall Excellence in Learning Award for Best Custom Content. Amway partnered with Allen to develop a re-brand course that communicates updates about Artistry’s skincare products to Amway distributors. The unique sales training solution allows the audience to create their own learning experience and features an interactive e-learning module full of media.
In other company news, Amway celebrated the 10th anniversary of its One by One Campaign for Children this week on Wednesday, Nov. 20, with 24 hours of volunteering around the globe. In Ada, Mich., more than 90 percent of the company’s 4,000 employees volunteered at least a few hours. The volunteers assembled 1,400 children’s bikes, coloring books and 10,000 hygiene kits, among other activities, in the company’s warehouse. Their efforts were in support of 15 West Michigan nonprofits including the Spring Lake-based International Aid, which will distribute the kits to children left homeless by Typhoon Haiyan.
CVSL, parent company of Longaberger and Tomboy Tools, released financial results for the third quarter of 2013. CVSL recorded revenues of $23.7 million for the quarter, an increase of $3.6 million, or 18 percent over the second quarter. A highlight of the quarterly results was a marked improvement in the financial performance of The Longaberger Company, which is the largest company owned by CVSL, during the quarter. View the full press release online.
In additional news, CVSL has signed a letter of intent to acquire My Secret Kitchen, a U.K.-based direct seller of food products.
Herbalife and LA Galaxy officials recently spent a week in El Salvador visiting soccer players, hospital patients and school children. The weeklong visit included sessions with the children and check donation ceremonies to notable Salvadoran institutions including soccer clinic La Fundacion Educando a un Salvadoreno, Benjamin Bloom Kids Hospital and Francisco Campos elementary school, who all received financial donations.
Isagenix has partnered with Stop Hunger Now to provide nutritious meals to victims of Typhoon Haiyan in the Philippines. The company is supplying 15,000 boxes of its IsaLean® Shake, a whey protein meal replacement shake, which will provide 210,000 high-protein, nutrient-dense meals to those impacted by the typhoon.
Mary Kay has donated a Nature Explore Classroom to the domestic violence and sexual assault shelter at Berks Women in Crisis in Reading, Penn. The Nature Explore Classroom is a unique outdoor learning environment that is specially designed to help children develop a profound connection with nature while healing from the trauma experienced from witnessing abuse in their homes.
In other company news, Mary Kay granted a $50,000 sponsorship to the Girl Scouts of Northeast Texas. The organizations partnered to create two new participation patches, the Mary Kay Entrepreneurial Leadership patch and the Mary Kay Healthy Relationships patch, which are designed to inspire the next generation of female leaders.
Medifast, parent company of DSA member Take Shape for Life, recently reached formal agreements with its current franchise partners to add 37 Medifast Weight Control Centers in six states nationwide over the next three years.